Thursday 22 October 2009

A nice problem to have

So another busy week and I guess I'll eventually get used to Thursday being Friday and Sunday being Monday and all that kind of thing though at the moment I still get very confused indeed!
I am now in receipt of the two job offers I've been mentioning over the last couple of weeks and will have to decide next week which one to go for. I've already started doing work for the Emirates College of Advanced Education as this week saw the biggest careers fair of the year in Abu Dhabi. The college had a stand and, having gone along to look on the first day, I ended up spending hours there. It was great fun though I'd forgotten how hard it is on the feet when you have to stand around for hours in heels. We managed to collect over 500 names of interested potential students, though I think quite a few were really only after our freebies and we wouldn't let them have any till they'd signed up. I remember from years of UK conferences that the giveaways are nearly always the main event and that's certainly the case out here. We had mugs, pens, key rings, book marks, stress balls as well as getting through 16kg of chocolates and still we kept running out. I was filling goody bags like a production line until I felt confident enough to talk about the college courses. I was also able to get to know the recruitment team pretty well and to meet lots of staff and students from the college which has given me more of a feel for the place.
John came along too for the opening, since Masdar Istitute also had a stand. However, once he'd met the Minister for Higher Education and appropriate dignitaries he was able to go back to the busy life of a Provost, whilst we marketing folk stayed on to give things away and try to recruit students.
I have also been busy putting together two marketing skills workshops for the recruitment team which will start on Monday so I'm pretty well embedded but haven't yet been given a contract to sign.
However, the offer at this stage is for a 6 month temporary contract to work as a consultant so on manageable responsibilities and more of an enabling role rather than a leadership one. However, I am do have lots of experience of working as a consultant so that shouldn't really worry me unduly.
The Emirates Advanced Investment company have also made me an offer though subject to security clearance and the usual (and unusual) checks. This is a more concrete, permanent offer with all the bells of whistles of living allowances and the rest. However, they are a somewhat mysterious company, although Helen, next door has given me the low down on some of their interests and their mission to keep the UAE in a place of safety in an unstable part of the world. It's a classic case of the lack of understanding of candidate management - we'll decide if we want you and we'll make you an offer. Not the two way process that we try to instil into our clients where both candidate and hiring organisation have to understand each other and arrange something mutually beneficial. So I know very little about what's expected of me apart from the fact that they want me to set up and run a marketing and communications department, but to market what to who I really couldn't say!
Either way, both jobs sound interesting and I'm sure I'll sort out the best one for me, plus it's pleasing to have reached this point after such a short space of time looking for a new opportunity in a strange country. It would also be nice to start earning some sensible money again rather than just spending it!
In the meantime I'll keep doing the work for the College whilst I get the final details sorted out on both. Since both jobs will gve me control of a marketing budget they should allow me to continue to work with my colleagues at work and send some revenue in their direction.
Hopefully over the next few days I'll be able to firm up some more detail from both of them and make a sensible decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment