Tuesday 22 December 2009

End of year and back to the UK

It's been a very hectic week as I finish my job at ECAE today (Tues) and fly back to the UK in the early hours of tomorrow morning. As well as getting things sorted at college I'd also agreed to help out the comms agency who handle Masdar Institute and Masdar City. The two Abu Dhabi people were off to Australia to get married and the creative and studio is in London so I agreed to be the local 'go between'. We all thought it wouldn't be a huge task but, like everything, things overran and I have ended up with a huge amount to do. With the work being done in London on a four hour time difference and not working on Sunday it's meant being very organised and spending a lot of non work time making sure all is OK. Just to add to the trauma one of the key London people suffered a family bereavement so I have felt extra responsibility on my shoulders. It's always difficult picking up someone elses work and clients but hopefully I have kept everything on track. Poor John has also got to hear rather more than he might have liked to about the inner workings of his marketing department as I've been struggling with the various requests and differing time zones! Still it's been interesting work and the guys in London at Wordsearch are really excellent - they did my ECAE ad campaign as well and has given me even more insight into marketing and communications in Abu Dhabi, not to mention a better knowledge of the Masdar objectives.
As an added stress our flights were booked with British Airways so we had a nailbiting few days of not knowing if the strike was going ahead. The BA flights via Heathrow were half the cost of the Etihad ones so we chose them even though it meant two flights. I was pretty upset when I heard the news. John was an angel and immediately bought us some flights on Etihad as well so that we could be sure that we would be going home for Christmas. However, I did lie awake at night worrying about the huge cost. Mum, bless her, also offered to help out with the cost. I am so well cared for by everyone around me. However, in the end the high court put paid to the strike for now so we just have the snow and ice to contend with.
We had a lovely event on Saturday night when a few good friends came round for bubbly and home made cakes, sausage rolls but shop bought mince pies due to the lack of mincemeat mentioned earlier. So many new friends came along and it was amazing to think that, with one exception, they were not people we'd met through work. I can't think of a single person I know in Manchester that I didn't meet through mine or John's work! It was a lovely evening and our other neighbours turned up later, after everyone had gone and we had a super chat - great as I'd only met them in the lift on the way to work before now.
Today I said good bye to the lovely people at ECAE. I've really enjoyed the short time that I've been there and it has been very rewarding and good fun. With a press campaign running, some good PR coverage and a growing database of potential students I'd like to think that I made some difference. Everyone was so warm and friendly and I especially enjoyed working with Monika and Julie, Head of Student Services and Registrar, respectively. I'm going to keep a close eye on what's going on there and help out as best I can. I do hope it all bears fruit.
So now it's back to the snow and the familiar landscape of home which I'm very much looking forward to. I have one suitcase full of presents, table decorations and assorted delicacies and it will be so nice to spend Christmas with all our families - though a pretty exhausting schedule to fit it all in.
If anyone out there is reading this blog let me wish you a Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year and please keep reading in 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your blog! Please keep it coming in 2010. I am about to join MASDAR as a post doctoral scientist and I love all the information and tit bits you share about Abu Dhabi and the university.

    ReplyDelete