Wednesday 10 February 2010

Still far too British

After nearly 6 months in Abu Dhabi I still find I'm looking for the familiar all the time and trying to recreate things as they were back home! We did some shopping at the weekend which is not something we spend a lot of time doing with the exception of food. It amazes me how much I can spend on food for two people so this week I actually did try to analyze the bill when I got home. I like Spinneys best and when you look at the bill it's all the Waitrose products and the food shipped in from elsewhere that adds up. I really must stop buying Parma Ham in such quantity and try to look for local produce a bit more!
Our shopping trip seemed to feature Boots and M&S so it's back to the same old haunts. Boots is the only place I've found that does conditioner for blonde hair and M&S have a few of the things we like though we both agree that if it was in Manchester we wouldn't think much of it. Now that I'm working every day my work wardrobe is in need of some renovation - all my Manchester work stuff is either too woolly or too short. I'd always prided myself on having reasonable legs for my age but round here it just isn't appropriate to wear anything above the knee! I did manage to buy a black skirt (in M&S) but nothing else quite seemed to fit the bill. One of my new colleagues has taken to wearing an Abaya which saves all the hassle of worrying about whether clothes are too short, tight or revealing but I think, being so obviously blonde and British it would raise a few eyebrows if I took to wearing one.
My support network at the office also seems to comprise a group of British colleagues who provide much needed help and general advice on getting by and getting used to a new culture. The guys out at Al Shaheen are just wonderful - all ex British miliatary and so passionate and enthusiastic about what they do that they understand my frustrations at not being able to do things quickly enough. I also have a great friend in the (Scottish) Finance Director - well would you trust your money with any other nationality apart from possibly a Yorkshireman?! I can say that since I lived in Yorkshire for over 20 years. Ken has been here for 15 years and is a fund of good advice and help in dealing with the complexities of an Emirati company.
However, I really should try to immerse myself more in the local way of life and try different shops and experiences but when you're working hard and getting tired it's difficult not to fall back on the comfortingly familiar things you've always known.

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs are very honest and refreshing. I too think that the restaurant food is very coslty here in Abu Dhabi, almost similar to US rates. However market produce and groceries are much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete