Wednesday 12 August 2009

Nearly time to head to Abu Dhabi

Well tomorrow night I fly to Abu Dhabi to join John who has been there since the end of May. I had two weeks out there at the end of June and, after looking at lots of apartments, we found one in the centre of the city, just a block from the corniche. It's going to be quite a daily trip for John to get out to Masdar City but it means we'll be in the centre of things and have the chance to really get to know the city.

Once I arrive I'll be flat out trying to get the apartment ready for us to live in as it's completely empty. I managed to secure a fridge, an oven, a dishwasher, TV and DVD from a guy who was moving back to Canada so it's a start though nothing is fitted in at the moment. I have until the 23rd August, when our hotel booking runs out to get beds, curtains, chairs and all the necessary household stuff.

It's very exciting and not a little bit scary to be making such a large move away from the UK. I shall be really sad about leaving my family and my friends at Work Communications behind. I'm still going to be working for Work remotely and hoping to make some useful business contacts for us in the UAE but it won't be the same as seeing everyone in Hale every day. Hopefully we'll get in regular contact via the email and the phone. Tonight we're all going for some drinks.

John is really enjoying his new job as Provost of the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. The Institute is the vital first phase of the Masdar City project,which aims to create the world's first completely sustainable, carbon neutral city in the desert outside Abu Dhabi. It's a really ambitious and visionary idea, so, with the vital research done by the Institute, John's work could help to change the way we all live our lives. Masdar also recently won the competition to host IRENA (International Renewable Energy Agency) so they're fast becoming recognised on the world stage in this area.

I've missed John very much over the last two and half months so it will be lovely to be together again and to start a new life out in Abu Dhabi. I'm sure it's going to be an amazing experience and one I look forward to sharing via this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your stay in Abu Dhabi. I am sure you will have a lot of fun their. Good luck with the flight too.


    property shop investment

    ReplyDelete