Wednesday 31 March 2010

John's surprise party

The main event for John's birthday was a surprise party which I'd been arranging by email for months! This has taken up a good deal of time and energy and lots of great support from our friend Alison Clarke and John's Manchester PA, Sue Neesham, who helped me to find a venue, create a guest list and track down endless email addresses and contacts. Readers of the blog will be unaware of all the preparation as, since John also reads the blog, I've been unable to talk about it!
We held the event at Imperial College, London and about 30 of John's former colleagues and friends were able to join us for canapes, drinks and speeches from David Bogle, one of John's early PhD students, Stratos, a long standing colleague and friend from Imperial and Lord Ron Oxburgh, former Rector at Imperial. Those who couldn't attend were able to send John messages, as, with a great deal of help from my good friends at Wordsearch (huge thanks to Katie, Kelly and Sandra) I managed to create a book, full of lovely words about John over the years, coupled with some compromisingly photos of his life!
We managed to keep the whole event a surprise. John thought we were going for dinner with Alison and David and that David had to drop some papers off at Imperial. I was sure he'd got wind of it but he claims he had no idea until he actually walked into the room and found it full of so many people he knew! It was a great event and a fairly august gathering with several Sirs, a Lord and the government's chief scientific advisor. I hope it made John feel special and realise how highly he is regarded by so many great people. I think it can be very hard in a new place, having to build a reputation from scratch after so many years - I know I feel like that myself. Anyway we had a great time and a lovely dinner afterwards with Alison and David, Liz and Keith Guy and Phil and Jane Ruffles and I was so relieved to have pulled it off and kept the surprise going for all that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment