Thursday 11 March 2010

Still plugging away

John came back from Korea on Saturday morning and we enjoyed a lazy day to help him recuperate before the trip to Dresden. That must have been quite a shock after Abu Dhabi as it was minus six and snowing but luckily he remembered to go back for his coat! They'd managed quite a punishing schedule crammed into one day with factory visits, workshops, dinner and even a trip to see 'The Magic Flute' at Dresden opera. He was also able to enjoy the Chateau Batailly and desert wine served in Etihad business class but it was still pretty tiring. I guess because everyone travels so much then no-one makes allowances and he came back to a huge Masdar Institute meeting (over 80 slides no less) and a very late finish and today involves a visit from the Australian ambassador and a Japanese delegation so no rest for the wicked!
I was well looked after once again by my lovely friends. On Sunday night I went to the races for a charity barbecue night with Angela and Kyeong which was super. As gambling is prohibited it did seem a bit strange watching the horses running round but without the shouting that comes with having a pound each way with the bookies! The food and company were great and I won a manicure in the raffle. A great prize as most of the others seem to involve waxing or other forms of hair removal! Monday night I was once again invited to Helen and John's next door and we enjoyed a meal together. They take great care of me. I went running with Helen at 6am on two mornings which was lovely. It's reasonably cool at that time and certainly sets you up for the day though actually getting out of bed at that time is painful. It spurred me on and I went out after work yesterday and I'm determined to keep it up this time.
John made it back from Dresden though he was pretty tired and with the traumas of yesterday we haven't yet had much time to talk about the usual ups and downs of my week but I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend in Abu Dhabi and the weather looks set fine for the beach which it certainly wasn't last weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment