Friday 5 March 2010

Turning the corner at work?

This week I hope I might be turning the corner and that it isn't just another up in the series of ups and downs.
On Tuesday Nidal and I organized a photoshoot which went down really well with everyone. It's really hard getting library pictures here as Emirati women are not happy to be photographed and there just aren't enough different shots to use. We also wanted to start using pictures of our own staff rather than models. It was hard work getting the necessary approval but I managed it and we had a whole day of photography. As well as portrait and team shots we also did endless role play of meetings, interviews, hand shaking and business type scenarios. Everyone was completely brilliant, gave up their time and played along and seemed to really enjoy things. Some Arabic female colleagues agreed to dress up in Abayas and Shaylas and we had a really good mix of western and local people in the shots. We were slightly hampered by the weather - it threw it down most of the morning which meant outdoor shots were impossible and we couldn't move easily between villas. In Manchester I would have worked through the necessary risk analyis relating to weather but in Abu Dhabi it never crossed my mind that it would rain!
The rain caused me more serious problems later on in the day when I had to drive to Ras Al Khaimah but more of that later!
Anyway the photo shoot seems to have raised the profile of marketing and given us some much needed allies.
I had a better meeting with my boss - I'm making some progress with the format of my reports and apparently the Chairman and CEO has expressed a desire to have a meeting with me!
I'm getting busier and busier as more people from round the group start to ask for marketing help and a little bit of it is quite strategic!
Still got the same issues with the smaller stuff which seems to cause most problems though. Despite the fact that it's now March I am still trying to find photos which my boss will like for his calendar. I may have mentioned before that it was my responsibility to check the dates were correct on the calendar and having checked them (just one missing October 31st!),like an idiot, I signed it. Apparently he hadn't agreed the designs so thousands of calendars have been printed and he wants them to redone. I was under the impression he'd approved it since it was all done before I came but apparently not! I seem to have spent a great deal of time looking at photos and trying to pick ones that he might like - I'm on about version three and it might be easier to change the dates to 2011. I think I've recovered from this major faux pas but it could take a while.
I've been interviewing for graphic designers for my in house role and have seen a couple of really great ones though I know they would prefer an Emirati. However, there are very few with the right level of experience so my plan is to take trainees and to build talent amongst locals that way. So far the most talented designers and creative people seem to be Lebanese which is interesting. Lebanon has had such a hard time in the past that it has clearly helped to hone generations of creative thinkers to compensate.
Still I really do think that I am finding some kind of way and that people can see the value add better. I got told to stop running on Thursday - no-one runs around in the office here - and be calm. Now if I'm running then it must be more like the old Jenny who has always worked at a million miles an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment