Wednesday 16 September 2009

Impressions of Abu Dhabi

Yesterday we had lunch with the most delightful American couple who are thinking about moving over here. We'd met the husband at one of the Iftar's we went to and he'd brought his wife over to see what she thought about the place. Knowing where they live it must certainly be a hard choice, whereas going from a city centre apartment in Manchester to one in Abu Dhabi is less of a complete change of living experience. Everyone is different so you couldn't possibly advise someone on what will work for them.
It reminded me of my first visit to Abu Dhabi back in March and how differently I view the city after just a few weeks of living here. Back then I remember thinking it was a very hostile environment for human beings to live and work in - especially out in the desert where they're building Masdar city, but then all of this was desert too at one stage (and the sand does still find it's way into the apartment from somewhere). Now I don't see it as hostile at all, despite the heat it is lovely to go out in sunshine every day and everywhere looks really pretty with the blue sky and turquoise sea. I also don't find the air conditioning quite so cold any more. Back in March it felt very foreign and not like a place I could imagine living in whereas after just a short space of time I can compare shops, take a bus, find a good restaurant (well that bit's easy except during Ramadan when you can't tell who's open when, who's serving wine and who's only doing Iftar) and have met so many new friends. Everyone is definitely more friendly whether expat or local so the people make up for any hostility in the environment. Culturally of course it is very different, being founded on very strong religious faith and different traditions but it's amazing how this sits alongside the demands of the twenty first century - not always easily but somehow it does work.
I went for a cup of tea with the friend I met at the British Business Group, who has an apartment in the Baynunah, which is just across the road which was a very pleasant experience. Being a block nearer the corniche they have an amazing view and the apartment is lovely. We had home baked cakes and tea, which reminds me that I really must buy a mixing bowl and some cake tins - I was forced to use a saucepan to mix apple crumble when John's old university friend came round for a meal last week! She has lived all over the world so Abu Dhabi doesn't feel like quite such a challenge whereas for me it's my first experience of life as an expat. However, I think it's getting easier and I am more relaxed about things though it's a gradual process. There will always be new challenges that I haven't yet encountered and of course I have still to take to the roads!
Well, whatever our new American friends decide, I am hoping (selfishly) that they will come as I am very much looking forward to getting to know them better.

No comments:

Post a Comment