Thursday 17 September 2009

Two job interviews and an Iftar

Today seems a bit flat after such an exciting and sociable week. Had to wait in this morning for the furniture (hooray a full length mirror at last though it's a bit scary seeing all of yourself after many weeks without!) and for the satellite guys as the TV went off. However, both arrived (together) in time for me to head to the shops before they shut at 1pm - Ramadan hours.
Yesterday was quite a day. I had a telephone interview with the Provost of one of the new US universities who are about to open here, which was great. They're not ready to hire just yet but we had a really good conversation about the challenges and the excitement of the project and we seemed to connect. We did finish by my giving an assurance that, if I get another offer in the meantime, I'll let them know, so that was positive. I love the idea of getting involved with marketing and communications in a start up situation which takes me back to the days of marketing new universities in the UK. The need for international, high quality Higher Education in this young and growing country is so great that a role like this would be very rewarding.
In the afternoon I had a full panel interview at the Petroleum Institute which was a real challenge. There were nine people on the panel and I didn't know beforehand (or even now) who they all were. It was pretty scary but I think I did the best I could. There were some great questions about the value of marketing and its context in an HE environment and what it could achieve for them. I relish that kind of challenge. However, I think the short term need is for immediate production of literature and revamping what is a very good web site. Due to the extended debate around strategic issues I don't think I got across the fact that I'm very willing to produce brochures and get stuck in to the tactical stuff in the short term. Once again I think I gave the impression that I can only work at a senior and strategic level so I'm going to have to work on presenting myself as the hands-on, sleeves rolled up type that I really am!
I had lunch with Maria from Reed which was great - I don't think there is anyone in this city she doesn't know or any networking group that she isn't a part of. As well as a great catch up she brought me some interview tips and notes (she is a professional recruitment consultant after all) which really helped me to focus on the interview. We went to Hemingways at the Hilton, which in the evenings is a popular expat hang out, so I'm keen to go back outside Ramadan and experience the full effect.
In the evening we went to the Masdar City family Iftar which was a lovely event. We took up the whole of one of their huge ballrooms (600 plus seats) and at the Emirates Palace everything comes big. It was a really relaxed event with games, balloons and activity laid on for all the children who were running around having a great time. I wasn't at my most sociable following a day of interviews but managed to chat to some of John's colleagues and their wives and enjoy the sumptuous buffet.
They had this brilliant idea, which actually worked much better than I though it would, to have a quiz and then hand out prizes for each correct answer drawn. Shamefully I was unable to answer most of the questions (about renewable/sustainable energy and Masdar) but John's colleague Tariq entered into the competitive spirit and got us organised. The prizes were an incredible mix - some involved getting a 25% discount from a struggling shop, whilst others were weekend breaks, flight tickets and holidays. We didn't win any, despite Tariq's valiant efforts at getting all the questions right, but enough were won by Masdar Institute students to ensure that honour was satisfied. The lady who won the break to Bangkok was so thrilled that you could only be glad for her - it would have been wasted on us in comparison!
We sneaked upstairs afterwards to sample the Emirates Palace bar and enjoyed a glass of very superior (and expensive) wine, which was fantastic. I'm just sorry I wasn't better company as it was a really nice evening. All in all it was a packed day and no wonder that today feels a little less exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment