Wednesday 16 September 2009

Interview time

Well sending the CV's out certainly seems to have created some action which hopefully will lead to something before too long. I went for the interview on Monday which came out of the blue and I'm still none the wiser, though I would guess that nothing will come out of that one. I managed to get a taxi and with the help of the map the driver and I eventually found the offices - though finding the entrance was another challenge. The panel of three turned into a panel of one and I still didn't have any clue as to what the company did (software development I understand though for what applications they didn't seem very keen to enlighten me!) The Head of Talent Management interviewed me, though it was hard to talk about my experiences without any kind of context and no job description. It all seemed more like an informal chat over a coffee (though without the coffee with it being Ramadan). The organisation didn't seem to have a marketing department at all, so there is no doubt that there is a need but it was hard to know whether I could fulfill it or not. I wonder if my CV looks a bit intimidating - it tends to focus on the big stuff and not mention that I spend most of my time actually doing things. Hard to know how to say that I also fill out briefs, job bags (though not on the system!), write copy and book postings on job boards on a daily basis. I also wonder who's consolidating the milk and throwing away the old stuff or whether the fridge at work is now crammed with milk bottles with just a drop in them?!
Today I have a phone interview with the Provost of one of the new universities here -luckily I asked for directions as to how to find them as no-one mentioned that it was a phone call until that point! Then this afternoon I have a panel interview for the job at the university I went to see on Thursday. This job looks really interesting - managing all of their external and internal comms and at present I'm pretty keen but we'll have to see what they think of me. I had to supply references and fill in an on line application which took a bit of doing with a dodgy internet connection. It was all a bit overwhelming and I hope I did it all correctly. It's a long time (if ever) since I submitted formal applications for jobs and sat through panel interviews. I hope they don't want me to do a numerical reasoning test as I know I'm rubbish on that score! Still it's all good experience and I have a couple more meetings organised for after the Eid break so there's plenty more opportunity if these don't work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment