Monday 7 September 2009

Patience is a virtue

Still no broadband connection or landline at the apartment though it seems to mystify the customer service people at Etisalat as much as it does us! We got excited last night when we finally received a call to say they would come today between 11 and 12 but it's now 2.30 and still no sign - but then they may have meant between 11 and 12 at night. The chap I spoke to told me it was completely unacceptable and he was going to complain personally to his manager - they are so charming and friendly but it doesn't seem to get the job done. I seem to have a similar problem with the bank. I was feeling very pleased with myself for getting HSBC to set up a joint account here in Abu Dhabi complete with credit cards and a briefcase as a free gift. Being a Premier customer in the UK seemed to work wonders. However, after 2 weeks I am in receipt of one cheque book, which is a fat lot of use, since, just as in the UK, no-one much takes cheques and certainly not without a card. No-one seems to know why or be able to make cards appear but they are very polite and charming about it! The retailers, however, are just brilliant. Furniture arrives when they say it will and is built in front of your eyes and then they take the packaging away. Our new chair, footstool and mirror are taking a bit longer to arrive due to Ramadan but I am convinced that they will turn up next Thursday as promised. This will be good as there is no mirror anywhere near a plug so I am reduced to using the GHDs with a tiny make up mirror and weird hair as a result!
Endless patience is very important and something which I am trying to learn. I was reading a book we were recommended called 'Don't they know its Friday' which talks about the culture and way things work. It's so helpful and has given me some real insight which makes life easier. Round here personal relationships (especially family) are of paramount importance and 'tomorrow is in the hands of God'. I do like to give God a helping hand though when I can.
Today I got my driving licence so very soon I have to take a deep breath and take to the roads which will save me from lugging things around in taxis but is a bit scary, especially as we drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK! John's driver came with me to help me manage my way through all the red tape and different ticket numbers and queueing systems. He has to be one of the loveliest people I've met in a country full of lovely people. With his help I managed the eye test, the right forms and received my licence at the end of it. We were also able to have a good chat. He offered lots of help with driving 'I am the driver of Dr John Perkins' he said 'and you can call me at 3am and I will come'. However tempting that would be (not at 3am) when I have bags of shopping I don't think I would want to abuse the privilege.
Yesterday John had a meeting in Dubai and I went a long for the ride. I discovered the Mall of the Emirates which is certainly a shopaholics dream with every luxury brand available and seemingly endless shops (including Harvey Nics though I shall try to stay away until I've got a regular salary again!) I was able to see the indoor ski slope - how crazy is that in a desert country?! but couldn't compare it to the chill zone since I've never seen the indoor slope in Manchester. I think they're more used to catering for us non fasting westerners or more sympathetic in Dubai as I found a secret coffee shop behind a curtain and was able to indulge in a cappucino which felt very naughty in the morning. I went mad in Debenhams on the grounds that we had John's car and driver so by the time they picked me up I was laden down with cushions, teapots, jugs and oven gloves - all things I've failed to find in Abu Dhabi.
We're heading to Dubai again at the weekend for a couple of nights, as the weekend activity is a bit limited here during Ramadan and the beach is currently being redeveloped to open at the beginning of October (when sensible people want to go on the beach as it isn't so hot!) I prefer Abu Dhabi as a place to live but it will be fun to go on a mini holiday to Dubai.
Hopefully by the time we return to the UK for a visit at the end of September my patience will have been rewarded and we will have a bank account and an internet connection but then again maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment