Saturday 5 September 2009

Making connections without a connection

People are so friendly and helpful round here - it makes it a lovely place to live when everyone is so kind and so willing to help. I've had quite a social week and started to get to know some people. On Tuesday night we went to a networking event held by the British Business Group, which we are now members of. It was held in the 'Rabbit Hutch' in the compund of the British Embassy which is a great venue (just like a pub!) We met the chap who has just taken over responsibility for security which must be quite a challenge when you can see the whole compound from all of the tall buildings around. I went to the gym at the Hilton Baynunah earlier in the day where you get an amazing view from the 29th Floor. It makes the treadmill and cross trainer almost bearable though I'm looking forward to the cooler weather as the run along the corniche looks fantastic. The pool - deliciously chilled, I still can't get over how amazing it is to need to chill rather than heat a pool! was fabulous. Anyway back to the networking event where we also met a lovely couple who've been out here since last November and Angela came round for coffee on Thursday, so I was able to show off the apartment and enjoy a chat as well as getting some great tips. They have an alcohol licence and offered to give me some wine to supplement our supply - you can see what I mean about kindness and friendliness. I also met a recruitment consultant from Charterhouse, who are one of the leaders round here, who has been so responsive and ready to put me in touch with people.
One of the wives of John's Faculty also came round on Thursday and was bowled over by the apartment. They are still waiting to move into an apartment in Officer's City so she is still stuck in a hotel. She has just qualified with a degree in dance and teaching so, although it's a long time ago for me, we had a lot in common and she stayed for most of the afternoon. She agreed with me that our main room would make a lovely dance studio (it even has a barre along the window!) though it would need something better than the marble floor!
It is great having people round now that we are starting to look less like a huge empty space. The coffee and side tables arrived on Thursday and today we ordered another chair, a matching stool and an enormous mirror for the bedroom so it's filling up. Due to an offer at The One on bedroom furniture, which gave us a 40% discount voucher, I still have a thousand dirhams credit with them, though I don't foresee a problem spending it. We were able to return the favour when our neighbours came round for a drink on Thursday night. They have offered to take us to the supermarket in their car until we have one, though I tend to manage with my ability to carry endless bags and sweet talk taxi drivers.
Today we went to Spinneys to pick up a form for our liquor licence and another amazingly kind person allowed us to buy some wine and beer on his licence since we couldn't buy any yet until ours comes through. We now have a bit of a supply thanks to his generosity. I can't imagine anyone doing that in Manchester.
The one thing I'm still missing is our internet and phone line. We went to Etisalst today and the staff were so charming and helpful but the technical people don't work on a Saturday so I need to go back next week. They didn't seem to think that the 'technical problem' that the call centre people keep mentioning was a reality. I think the problem is the lack of engineers in a busy time, which coincides with Ramadan, when the technicians have to work shorter hours. I live in hope that we will get a connection before too long and that I will be able to communicate more easily.
All in all I'm starting to feel at home here and meeting people who are so willing to help and make friends. I went for lunch with Maria from Reed during the week. She has to be the most fabulous networker ever, so lovely and so friendly, I think she knows everyone round here. She is in the throes of organising a host of charity events (we bid in one of her recent charity auctions) so I think our Autumn social calendar could be pretty full and I may need to bring another dress from Manchester. She is about to move into her apartment so at least I was able to give her some useful numbers and she suggested an etisalat dongle so I can have internet connection wherever I go and can stop worrying about staying on line and in touch.
But with so many wonderful people about I'm sure the lack of internet has to be less important than the ability to connect face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment